18 Oct 2009

Catalytic San Francisco


'Le Penseur', at the magnificent Rodin museum in Paris, taken when I was there this Summer - on Patrick Swayze's birthday in fact, August 18th; it is clearly a sign. [That is, not a sign that I am on the brink of death, so much as that we are (were) meant for one another, are (were) kindred spirits, are (were) {insert similar items here.} ] We did, after all, have a very romantic conversation about whistles and horses one night, a few years ago... at the very least he represents one of my more successful stalking adventures. Ah, lost love.


Last week I performed at David Bramwell's Catalyst Club, which was an interesting and surprisingly nerve-inducing experience. My talk was called "Vowels Eating Vowels: The Catastrophic Effects of Love Poetry", which I began with a brand new poem - yes - actually a new, brand new, actual poem! It's a great night, and you can find it downstairs at The Latest Music Bar on Manchester Street in Brighton, every 2nd Thursday.

Speaking of 2nd Thursdays, the next Hammer and Tongue will be on the 12th Nov, not the 5th - what with it being Bonfire Night and all... We have Byron Vincent and Zena Edwards, plus local poet Alan Hay - it will be awesome! It will also be your last chance to take part in the slam [if you are so inclined] until February - as December is the Grand Slam Final 2009, in which all this year's monthly winners will compete for the H&T slam champion title [plus exciting mystery prize...], and January is POETS vs. MCs time! Boo hiss, etc.

I am off to California tomorrow morning, and will no doubt update you with all manner of salacious gossip as I go along. Gig info is on my main website, and do please leave comments on here so I feel loved!

And now I must make dinner, for I have a seven year-old demon tugging at my sleeve, saying: are you going to make dinner are you going to make dinner are you going to make dinner are you going to make dinner are you going to make dinner are you going to make dinner are you going to make dinner are you going to make dinner...

The answer is YES! : I am going to make dinner.

Poison o'clock.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I too saw that statue when I visited Paris, although I'm not sure if it was also a famous persons birthday when I saw it. There probably was a significant birthday and there seems to be one most days.

Anyway, have an amazing time in Cali I look forward to all the stories upon your return.